Refinishing Staircase / Banister yourself

Before


After




         I was really tired of the 90's oak banister. It didn't go with my decor. I called several contractors but none wanted to take on this "small" job. One contractor did call me back with an estimate of over $1,000.00! I went to Home Depot, spent less then $75.00 for the supplies. It took me a while asking around getting advice from the employees on what I would need. I am not a decorator and I had no idea what to do first or where to begin. I figured if I messed it up too bad, I could just paint the whole thing. I'm so glad I tried. It adds so much to the room. It feels more open yet warm. It just seems to bring everything together.
       I had watched youtube clips but none were specific on products used or how to apply them. I can't be the only one with golden oak banisters or who would like to tackle a home project but just not sure where to begin. So here is the products used and step by step of my process:


Match the number in directions with the number in the pictures.




  • Prep your work area. Paper/plastic/ blue painter's tape #1. I taped off the walls and put  plastic on carpet. 
  • Strip-x stripper #2. Follow directions on can. I used a one inch paint brush #3 to apply the stripper. This was my least favorite part and very messy. I applied stripper to all areas where I wanted the old lacquer/stain removed. NOTE: I did not strip the spindles! (There was no need because I planned on painting them. ). My husband had the idea to paint them white instead of staining it all brown. This was a great idea for it not only saved me time and energy, but it adds a bit more sophistication to the look of the staircase. After stipper is on let sit for 30mins or so. It will begin to bubble. Then, take a scraping tool #4 to remove the excess stripper. This process does eliminate the need for sanding so much. However, you will still need to sand. I used a 80 to 120 grade sand paper sheet #5. I just tore off pieces and used my hands...no special tool need. It was easier to use my hand to get between the small spaces. NOTE:  Make sure all the old stain and lacquer is removed. If you don't and you stain over it you will have to re-sand. 
  • Once that is done you are ready to stain. Apply Varathane wood stain #6. Follow directions on can.  I used "Kona" color in the gloss. It also comes in satin and matte finish. Get one of your husband's tube socks and put it on your hand, dipping it in satin and begin to smooth it over wood. NOTE: Put on a latex glove under the sock. Believe me when I say it will take days before it washes off if you don't.! I put on the first coat---waited about an hour,  but it wasn't dark enough so I apply one more coat. You are still able to see the wood grain which is what I wanted. You can make it darker or lighter  or even a different color....whichever is your preference. Varathane brand had the most color selection. 
  • I wanted to make sure everything was settled and dry so I waiting till the next day to apply the Varathane polyurethane protector #7. I applied this with the one inch paint brush #3. This part went fast and it dried fast as well. I applied the first coat. NOTE: Be careful not to glob it on because you will have drip marks and it will dry that way, and you'll have to sand and start over so ...go light. It dries in about 15 minutes. I put on two more coats. 
  • Finally the spindles! I wrapped the railing with paper and the bottom with strips of plastic because the white paint will splatter a bit and will stick to the newly stained wood. I used Kilz primer #8. I applied Kilz with 3 inch mini roller #9. ( My daughter wanted me to get this simply because it was so small and cute) but It worked perfect for painting the spindles. One coat was enough. After that dried I paint your spindles. I use a "swiss coffee" color...not sure of the brand. I used the same one inch paint brush #3 because it made the spindles come out smoother. I tried using the mini roller first but it left it looking too textured. The brush worked better and left no brush lines, and it was needed when getting close to where the spindles and railing meet. Just have a steady hand. I gave the spindles two coats of the swiss coffee paint. 


Finished!!

I got a little carried away and did the front door too...why not?

Let me know of  your ideas or suggestions... what have you been working on?  What projects have you done or would like to do if you could? Whatever it is... YOU CAN DO IT!


Paper/plastic/ blue painter's tape#1 (not pictured)
Strip-x stripper#2




One inch brush #3




Scraping tool #4

80 to 120 grade sand paper #5 (120 made the sanding go faster)
Varathane wood stain#6 (apply with tube sock and latex glove.)

Varathane Polyurethane sealer/protector #7 (use with one inch brush#3)






Kilz primer #8 (apply with 3 inch mini roller below)


3 inch mini roller #9


Before

after
I stained the door with only one coat of the wood stain because I wanted to see more of the wood grain. The Picture makes the door look darker than it is.  
I also only gave it two coats of the polyurethane instead of three...didn't want it that glossy. 
Add caption

Comments

Popular Posts